Many of us have heard the phrase “Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance.” This is especially true when it comes to saving money. A few minutes of planning each week, and a few more each day can really help you save money. Let’s think about how this can work.
1. Prior Planning of the budget. By knowing how much our basic expenses are each month, compared to our usual income, can help us stay on track with our spending. With a budget, one is never surprised by a forgotten bill that can ruin the whole plan for the month. If you don’t know how much you spend on the unbilled expenses, such as groceries, gas, etc., then keep a record of spending for a month or two to get a good idea on what you need to spend.
2. Prior Planning for your menu for the week. Plan ahead and know what meals you intend to make for the week. This prevents you from last minute shopping sprees that inevitably end up costing you more money.
3. Prior Planning for lunches. If you work outside the home, plan in advance what you want to pack for lunches. I’m amazed at how much money people spend eating out every day because they don’t plan ahead and pack a lunch. This also helps you with planning for shopping to make sure you have the supplies you need.
4. Prior Planning for shopping. Before shopping for groceries, go over the sales flyers for the week and see what you NEED. A sale is not a good deal if it’s for an item you don’t need! Compare your coupons to items on sale to ensure that you get the best deals. Then, when you get to the store, STICK TO YOUR LIST! Avoid the aisles of temptation that don’t have items you need in them.
5. Prior Planning for the next day. Be prepared with the food and drinks you need while you are out the next day to prevent stopping and spending unnecessary money on food or drinks. One of the best investments we made was a good cooler on wheels. We have a lot of activities and by packing my cooler each day, we have saved literally hundreds of dollars by not having to purchase drinks/food each day. In addition, plan your errands in such a way as to avoid wasting gas running back and forth around town.
These are just a few of the basic ways you can save yourself some cash by prior planning.
Coupon Books now available: ENJOY THE CITY COUPON BOOKS are back! Check to see if there is a school or club in your area selling these. I believe they sell for $20 and have fantastic coupons in them. I haven’t seen this year’s book yet, but in years past they have always been well worth the $20!
All You Magazine September Coupon List – Bargain Briana has been kind enough to provide a list of coupons that will be in Walmart’s All You Magazine for September. You can check it out here to see if you want to stop by and pick up a copy. I believe it retails for $2.49 per issue if you buy it at Walmart, but you can get a subscription for $1.66 per issue here. However, I will tell you that sometimes the subscription version has less coupons than the newsstand version.
For local calendar events:
For Delray Beach, click here.
For Boynton Beach, click here.
For Boca Raton, click here.
Now, on to the deals this week!
Know the Lingo BOGO – Buy one, get one free SS – Smart Source (coupon inserts in Sunday’s papers) RP – Red Plum (coupon inserts in Sunday’s papers) PG – Proctor & Gamble (coupon inserts in Sunday’s papers) GM – General Mills (occasional coupon inserts in Sunday’s papers) Blinkie – coupon dispensers in stores Peelie – coupons found on products that you peel off Hangtag – coupons found hanging on bottles All You – Magazine sold at Walmart or via subscription
Whole Foods: Click here for their coupons. If you prefer to shop at Publix, they should accept these as competitor coupons.
Publix Greenwise: Click here for their weekly ads.
Many thanks to IHeartPublix for their great tips on shopping at Publix!
For Publix “super deals” for 9/22-9/28/2011, please click here. http://www.iheartpublix.com/index.php/2010/09/super-deals-starting-99-98-for-some/
For Publix full sale list with coupon match-ups 9/22-9/28/2011 please click here.http://www.iheartpublix.com/index.php/2011/08/publix-ad-coupons-91-to-96-831-to-95/
For Publix ongoing sale list, please click here.
For Publix Advantage Buy Flyer sales, please click here.
Renita's Favorite Money-Saving Sites
E-Book now available!
I’m excited to tell you that my book is now available as an e-book! So, you can save money while you learn to save even more money by purchasing an e-book instead of a traditionally bound book! For more information, please click here.
Kindle book now available!
My book is now available for the Kindle! Please click here!
Renita is a resident of Palm BeachCounty, and author of “Wow! You Saved How Much?” For more information, visit her website athttp://wowyousavedhowmuch.com.
"Copyright © Renita R. Perrone All rights reserved. Permission granted to reprint this article on your website without alteration (excluding the weekly deals) if you include this copyright statement and leave the hyperlinks live and in place."http://wowyousavedhowmuch.com