It was a night that those of us who attended will not soon forget as Lynn University and the city of Boca Raton welcomed the world to the final presidential debate between President Barack Obama and Governor Mitt Romney. Stay tuned for Boca Raton magazine's complete behind-the-scenes video coverage—including an unexpected encounter with Triumph the Insult Comic Dog. In the meantime, here is just a little of what went on Monday night at Lynn:
• Members from the Commission on Presidential Debates were overheard remarking that Lynn had staged the best of the four presidential debates (three presidential, one between the VP candidates). They were especially impressed by the sprawling outdoor viewing area, filled with thousands of students and VIPs. And one was heard to remark that the food trucks fronting the viewing area offered the best culinary choices she had ever seen at an on-campus debate site.
• Lynn president Kevin Ross said that he was told by officials that the spin room activity, buzzing until late into Monday evening, was well beyond any scene at the previous debates.
• Pauly Shore was milling about the spin room. We have no idea why.
• You had to feel a little sorry for the spin room politicians who couldn't give a quote away after the debate. While crowds around the likes of Marco Rubio, Debbie Wasserman Schultz, John Kerry and John McCain were massive, other lesser-known politicians had handlers lobbying reporters on their behalf.
• A post-debate war of words near one of the network staging areas between two Lynn students with polar opposite political views resulted in one student betting the other $1,000 that his candidate would win. The two students shook hands, but no word on whether that amount was the final wager.
Check out our Boca Raton magazine photo gallery from the debate! And visit our video link on Wednesday for more post-debate coverage!