Summer is here, which calls for sunny beach days, family vacations and slow strolls along Boca’s favorite outdoor mall, Mizner Park. While these activities seem harmless and fun (your credit card may disagree), you’d never expect the toll they take on your health if you don’t take the necessary precautions. Without proper skin care and protection, an innocent outdoor walk can leave you getting sunburnt, feeling fatigue or suffering a headache. All these symptoms are caused from constant sun exposure, but they are easily prevented. We compiled a list of must-have summer items that will keep you looking fresh and vibrant—as well as feeling good—all summer long.
1. Sunscreen is a must during the summer. Getting into the habit of applying facial sunscreen every day as part of your morning routine will help you avoid getting sunburnt and prevent the dreaded peeling that comes along with it. Applying facial sunscreen also does wonders to your skin. It slows down the aging process by delaying face wrinkles. I recommend “Supergoop! Everyday Sunscreen,” because it has SPF 50, so you know it is allowing maximum protection. It is also water-resistant, oil-free and does not use any parabens, sulfates and phthalates that are common in most sunscreens. The best part is that it is cruelty-free.
2. Freckles may be one of a child’s cutest features, but they do not have the same reputation for adults. Freckles on adults get labeled as “age spots,” and the visible brown hyperpigmentation is usually correlated to constant sun exposure. However, some creams allow for brown spots to fade and even be prevented. A worldwide favorite is “Dr. Andrew Weil for Origins Mega-Bright Dark Spot Correcting Serum.” This amazing cream is lightweight and smells of delicious white peony and licorice. It helps reduce visible dark spots while correcting your skin tone. The cream also prevents future dark spots and works on all types of skin.
3. One of the most common, yet easily avoidable, mistakes that affect your health during the summer is a lack of hydration. Staying hydrated is key for great skin, healthy hair and clean nails. That’s why you should always carry a water bottle, and the environmentally conscious founders of S’well have created the water bottle of the future. The cute and trendy designs are only half the appeal: The bottle keeps drinks cold for 24 hours and hot for 12 hours. S’well is bound to become your new summer companion.
4. Sunglasses are not just an accessory in completing an outfit but a very useful tool in protecting your eyes from sun exposure. Without sunglasses, you can face hurtful headaches, migraines and fatigue. Sunglasses are an easy and stylish way of preventing these maladies while ensuring that you never have to squint your eyes in the sun. One of my favorites are these Tory Burch gold-and-blue sunglasses. The marble pattern is unique, and the cat-eye wing will never go out of style.
5. It took me too long to realize how damaging the sun and saltwater can be for your hair. A good shampoo and conditioner is sometimes not enough to replenish your hair after a long trip or beach day. I have very thick hair, and I consider its care crucial. Thus, I have scouted various stores for the“Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque.” It revives your hair’s natural shine and bounce after one use. It contains Omega 3, 5, and 7 as well as its main ingredient, macadamia oil, to revitalize your locks.