**Welcome to the first installment of our Boca Mom Talk column! Every other Thursday, our very own Boca mom, Michelle Olson-Rogers, will share her insights on being a parent in Boca. From her favorite spots in town to mommy-and-me fitness tips, this blog will be chock-full of tips! Check out her bio on the bottom of this blog for more info on Michelle and her business, modernbocamom.com.
As a Boca resident and mom to a 19-month-old little lady, we love to spend time at the Boca Raton Children’s Museum.
We go often. Very often.
The Boca Raton Children’s Museum has been around since I was a child (in the 80’s) and has kept up with the times without losing its historical charm. We love it and so should you!
Here’s the Boca Mom Talk on why our children’s museum is the BEST in South Florida.
via Boca Raton Children’s Museum
1. Membership price. It is $60 for the whole family FOR A YEAR! It includes aslew of benefits including admissions to other museums for kids in South Florida.
2. Classes. You can take a Musikgarten class (my personal favorite) with your baby, toddler OR preschooler one day and a Pinspired Play class with other Boca moms the next. The museum recently implemented a class reward system, so after 10 or so classes purchased, you receive one for free!
Photo by Michelle Olson-Rogers
3. Toddlers AND Preschoolers Dig It. Since they focus on hands-on, play-based learning, the museum is developmentally appropriate for early childhood. There is also a benefit to having the exhibits in a small, historic house because I personally don’t enjoy losing my little one in a huge space. I also love the low-tech environment. Without distractions from TV, computers, tablets and phones (other than Mommy taking a million pictures, of course), children can really focus on the imaginative play activities that are so healthy for them.
4. Imagination Playground. Starting in January 2015, the museum will have public play times on the Imagination Playground, both indoors and outdoors. It’s a really cool portable, interactive, transformable environment that prompts children to manipulate their environment and create a play-space of their own with sand, water and loose parts. We can’t wait to try it.
Photo by Michelle Olson-Rogers
5. Pint-sized Grocery Store. There’s nothing cuter than watching your child pretend to be an adult in the museum’s grocery store exhibit. Little do they know it becomes such a chore when you finally do it for real! Let’s keep that a secret for a bit longer Boca Moms…along with Santa and the Easter Bunny.
Michelle Olson-Rogers, a native to Boca, is the founder ofModernBocaMom.com, a lifestyle website for the stylish & modern South Florida Mommy. Modern Boca Mom features events for both mom and kids, activities, classes, fitness, dining and shopping options as well as a weekly Mompreneur spotlight! A Mompreneur herself, Michelle truly believes that working moms (and dads!) instill an unparalleled work ethic in their kids. She and her husband Andrew have one daughter, Avery.