You could almost hear their hearts beating as they stood in front of the mirrored walls of the bright Fred Astaire Dance Studio in Royal Palm Place. This week was the first time eight community leaders gathered for a dance lesson—and all of a sudden, the competition got real.
The 11th annual Boca Ballroom Battle is off and running, slated for Sept. 14 at the Boca Resort. For those of our readers who are new to the city, this is THE party of the summer, a “Dancing With The Stars”-inspired event , in which eight community leaders are paired with dance pros to learn a routine they will perform in front of 800 of their closest friends in a ballroom at the Resort.
These days, the winner is the dancer who has raised the most money for the event’s charity, The George Snow Scholarship Fund, as opposed to the one who’s the best on his or her feet. But the competition is still fierce, and the dancers work hard to perfect routines that are often not for the faint of heart.
The 2018 Boca’s Ballroom Battle Community Dancers are:
- Samir Changela, owner, Tilted Kilt Pub & Eatery
- Nancy Dockerty, Director, Dockerty Romer & Co.
- Matthew Maschler, Broker-Associate, Realtor, Signature Paradise Florida Properties, LLC.
- Dr. Cristina Mata. VP, Chief Medical Officer, Boca Raton Regional Hospital
- Jamie M. Rosemurgy, mother/volunteer/real estate investor
- Tracy Tilson, President, TilsonPR
- Joseph W. Veccia, President, Veccia Consulting
- Christopher B. Warren, Partner, Lawless, Edwards & Warren Wealth Management
We wish these footloose warriors well and look forward to what many think is the party pf the year! It’s not too early to reserve sponsorship or a table or a series of tickets, as the event almost always sells out. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.