If you have been over-indulging during the holidays and need to detox or simply want to jump-start a lifelong path to health, I recommend experiencing the magic of raw, unpasteurized juice cleanses. My clients who are juicing have seen their energy increase, their skin starting to glow, weight being released and signs of aging being reversed.
This past year we have seen some great additions and improvements to juicing companies in our area and in this blog I will share what’s good and new, so you can enjoy your juices to the fullest.
First of all, why try a juice cleanse to begin with? Even when we watch what we eat and make the right food choices, toxins still lurk into our bodies. For example, if you go out to eat, you’ll likely have pesticides and toxins in your system from non-organic foods found in most restaurants. The unpleasant side effect of having them in our systems can be seen in weight gain, low energy, unclear skin and many illnesses.
By doing a simple detox, you will give your digestive system a vacation so your body can get rid of harmful toxins, boost its energy, release extra weight, promote deeper sleep and reduce stress. Think of the detox as you think of dry cleaning your clothes – a necessary part of life that helps you look and feel great!
Take advantage of nutritional consultations prior to the cleanse
Eat light, vegan foods before and after your cleanse to ease in and out of the cleanse
Only choose organic juices, otherwise you will be putting toxins and pesticides right back into your body
Choose cold-pressed juices (like the ones in this blog) that retain most benefits from fruits and vegetables
Don’t eat heavy foods such as bread and animal proteins right before and right after the cleanse
Don’t use the cleanse as quick fix – it is a reboot for the system and not a crash diet
Don’t pressure yourself into doing a long cleanse if you are not ready.
BEST LOCAL ORGANIC JUICES AND CLEANSES
If you’re always busy and have no time to go get your juices, I suggest getting them delivered to your house by OnJuice.com. This local company, started in Boca in 2012, has just gone organic. All juices are cold-pressed and then high-pressure processed, which means there is no harmful bacteria, making them safe for people with weaker immune systems. What I like about OnJuice:
– Easy delivery system – you don’t even have to leave your house or office
– Local and organic produce
– Offers signature and advanced all-juice cleanses that include six juices
– Ten specialty cleanses that include four juices per day
– Complimentary pre- and post-cleanse support with seven days of food menus to make sure you end your cleanse in a correct way
– Corporate cleanses are available
Z-Tip: Sign up for their convenient auto-renewal delivery program and make juice a daily habit – you will look and feel fabulous all year long.
To order, visit OnJuice.com or call 800-495-5008. Get 20 percent off by mentioning this blog.
APURA JUICERY AND COFFEE HOUSE
Apura Juicery and Coffeehouse has a beautiful story, and the passion of Susan Mussaffi, the owner of the café, shows in every detail. Apura is dedicated to making great-tasting juices with unique flavors that stand out from the crowd. If you don’t believe me, just try Can-Elope, Flying Hawaiian and Purple Haze. What I love about Apura:
– Beautiful café where you can enjoy your juice
– Food and juice cleanses are available
– Group cleanses
– Organic cold-pressed coffees for those who don’t want to give it the habit, but want to upgrade it instead
– Samples of every juice are available before purchase
– Pick up raw vegan salads, snacks and even desserts to help you ease in and ease out of the cleanse
Z-Tip: Try chia pudding and raw oatmeal to get into the habit of a delicious and nutritious breakfast.
22191 Powerline Road, 20B, Boca Raton // 561/430-3596
Raw Juce is a juice-aholic’s paradise that offers juices, smoothies, power shots and dessert drinks that can satisfy your thirst and hunger. Over the year they have added many new juices, smoothies and snacks, making it always fun and exciting to go. What I love about this store:
– They offer walk-in cleanses
– Samples of every juice are available before purchase
– Big selection of green juices
– Free consultation with a certified health coach
– Raw vegan foods, acai bowls and smoothies are available for purchase to ease in and out of the cleanse
– Convenient location off Glades Road and I-95
– Juice till dinner cleanses are great for beginners
Z-tip: If you are new to cleanses, try a combination of smoothies and juices for the first two days of the cleanse before going 100 percent on juice.
2200 Glades Road, Suite 403, Boca Raton // 561/424-JUCE
ORGANIC EXPRESS JUICE BAR
If you are out and about in Mizner Park and want a drink that won’t make you feel guilty later, check out Organic Express Juice Bar. All drinks are made to order and poured into glass mason jars with straws (what a cute idea!) What I love about this store:
– Build-your-own cleanses
– Design-your-own juices
– Free local delivery
– Raw vegan salads, smoothies and desserts are available for purchase to ease in and out of the cleanse
– Delicious coconut water is available in big bottles
– Convenient location on Federal Hwy, across from Mizner Park
Z-tip: Do try the banana ice cream – it can change the way you view desserts!
495 N. Federal Highway, Boca Raton // 561/707-0072
For more from the Green Goddess, click here.
About Alina Z.
Alina Z., aka “The Green Goddess,” is a certified holistic health coach, detox specialist and raw-food chef (she conducts occasional classes at Whole Foods in Boca). Prior to moving to Florida, Alina hosted her own TV show in Maryland—“Entertaining A to Z”—for people who didn’t have time to cook but wanted to eat healthy. Catch one of her web episodes at eHow.com, visit Alina’s website at alinaz.com, or follow her on Facebook (facebook.com/CoutureFood) or Twitter (@CoutureFood). The Green Goddess blog runs every other Wednesday at bocamag.com.