Whether you need a kick in the tuckus to dress up your cooking this summer, just want to learn some new techniques, or long to watch amazing chefs do their thing, these cooking classes are for you.
For a few years now, Janelle Lang has held cooking classes at her charming and innovative Shoppe 561. Along with products from artists all over the U.S., she offers cooking classes with local chefs. I’ve been to several and am amazed this kind of talent is available to folks like me—and you!
Here’s what’s on the calendar for Shoppe 561 this summer—space is limited with these sessions, so if you’re interested, sign up soon. You’ll taste all the dishes shown, and you’ll take the recipes home, too.
- Chef Clay Carnes—Entertaining Made Easy: July 18 from 7 to 8:30 p.m., $45. Includes summer recipes and drinks from the chef/owner of Cholo Soy Cocina in West Palm Beach. Carnes is known for his cutting-edge Latin street food, and winning The Food Network’s Cutthroat Kitchen.
- Chef Clay Carnes—Entertaining Made Easy: July 19 from 7 to 8:30 p.m., $45. A second night with more recipes from this celebrity chef.
- Cooking with Chef Clay Conley: July 23 from 7 to 8:30 p.m., $45. This chef/owner of Buccan, Grato and Imoto teaches recipes from drinks to dessert and everything in between.
Coming up this fall, we hear there’s another bread-baking class planned with Chef/Owner Michael Hackman (pictured) of the popular Aioli restaurants. His first class was sold out, and we each left with two sourdough loaves to bake in our home ovens.
The classes are held at the shop, 1905 S. Dixie Highway, West Palm Beach; 561/557-7278. Check Shoppe561.com for upcoming classes.
Sur La Table: From kids classes to French, Italian
Sur La Table schedules cooking classes at Mizner Park in Boca Raton starting at 9 or 10 a.m. and then there are various classes all day, seven days a week. They are not cheap, but they are hands-on and you eat well as part of your experience, plus have the recipes to try at home.
Here’s a sample of one day’s worth on July 3:
- 9 a.m., two-day kids’ series: Bakeshop Fundamentals, $120.
- Noon, two-day kids’ series: Bakeshop Fundamentals, $120.
- 3 p.m., two-day teens’ series, Bakeshop Fundamentals, $120.
- 7 p.m., Fried Chicken 101, $75.
Classes are held at Sur la Table, 438 Plaza Real, Boca Raton; 561/953-7638. For a complete schedule, go here.