I have such fond memories of winter break when I was a kid. The weather in Boca Raton was *FINALLY* cool enough to play outside (on our own, mind you) with the neighborhood kids in our respective driveways. We invented games, put on shows and picked fresh Florida oranges to snack on from the trees next door. Time passed a little more slowly back then. Now as a parent, it feels like summer break just ended! Yet, here we are with two big school vacations on the horizon.
When my sister and I complained of being “bored,” my mom simply sent us outside for the day. Now for most attachment parents, the mere thought of an unsupervised child is unthinkable. So, we’ve come up with some good, clean, old-fashioned, family fun for your kids during the upcoming winter break.
No one shall dare mention the b-word…
Twisters Boca Raton
- When this Boca mom needs to get stuff done and school is out, I send my daughter to my tried and true: Twisters Boca Raton. Their Fall and Winter Gymnastics Fun Days are a huge hit with my little gymnast! If your child LOVES climbing, jumping, running and flipping, then they will have a blast there. The best part is that both Twisters’ Boca Raton and Coconut Creek locations follow the Palm Beach and Broward County school calendars. That way you’re always covered! Registration includes the fun day session of your choice, gymnastics instruction, a healthy snack and juice each day, arts & crafts, movie time, fun and games!
- Get into Gumbo Limbo! This free (a $5 donation is encouraged) attraction is most famous for their sea turtle rehab facility. However, in addition to visiting the sea turtle “patients”, you can take a family walk on their recently renovated boardwalk, check out thousands of tropical fish in Gumbo Limbo’s onsite aquariums or stroll through the Nature Center’s butterfly garden. Add in some cool weather and this is a beautiful way to spend a winter break day!
Sugar Sand Park
- Take advantage of the Holiday Fun-tacular programming at Sugar Sand Park! From December 22nd-January 5th, you and your Boca kids can enjoy family movies, art classes, face painting, playground playdates, pony rides, theater shows and more. Don’t miss out on visiting this local gem!
- Take a day trip up to Manatee Lagoon! Florida’s manatee “season” is from November 15-March 31, so there’s no better time to visit Manatee Lagoon in Riviera Beach. This attraction is basically an amazing community center with complimentary family programming and events year-round…like Manatee Tales Story Time, which is the first Sunday of every month. (Children ages 2-5 are welcome and pre-registration is required.) The 16,000-sq.-ft. center offers two levels of exhibit and event space, an observation deck to observe manatees in the Lagoon, a picnic area, pavilion and gift shop.
- Enjoy the beach! I honestly prefer to go during the winter months. This mom isn’t a fan of sweating by choice. If you’re a City of Boca resident, I highly recommend you visit one of your local community centers and apply for a Boca beach permit. City of Boca Raton & Greater Boca Raton and Beach and Park District residents may purchase an annual permit for: Spanish River Park, Red Reef and South Beach Parks. This is a huge savings for your family vs. paying the daily rate, trust me!