You’re sitting there with some salt, tequila and lemon, wondering what to do. Really? With National Margarita Day fast approaching on Feb. 22, we are coming to the rescue. Here are a few fun places to visit, some delicious margaritas to try, and one recipe thrown in for good measure. Here’s to margaritas of many colors!
- YOT Bar & Kitchen, Lauderdale Marine Center, 2015 SW 20th St., Fort Lauderdale; 954/953-9000; https://www.yotlmc.com/ This new waterfront restaurant will have specialty margaritas for $8 on Feb. 22, and can be reached by boat or car. The lineup (pictured above) includes the YOTSea Mango margarita with Rock N Roll Mango tequila, Triple Sec, agave nectar, Natalie’s Orange Juice, lime; LMSea with Patron Silver tequila, agave nectar, pineapple juice, lime, habanero bitters; Hibiscus Paloma, with 1800 Silver tequila, hibiscus syrup, lime, grapefruit; Brutus and The Beast, 1800 tequila, watermelon juice/puree, agave nectar, lime.
- Barcello, 11603 US Highway 1, North Palm Beach; 561/660-8222; https://barcellonpb.com/ Go tropical all the way with the Hibiscus Margarita with Black Sea Salt ($14, pictured above). Made with Cimarron Blanco tequila, broVo Orange Curacao, Domaine de Canton Ginger Liqueur, lime juice, agave, Himalayan black salted rim.
- Bartaco, 2906 NE 207th St., Aventura; 305;614-8226; https://bartaco.com/location/aventura/ This restaurant chain with three joints in Florida (just one in SoFla) is celebrating with a five-week margarita-inspired cocktail that features a different drink each week. The Northern Lights libation ($12, pictured above, March 25-March 31) is different because it involves a bit of magic. “Made with libélula tequila, elderflower liqueur, fresh squeezed lime juice, and agave simple, this cocktail will transform in front of your eyes when a sidecar of chilled butterfly tea is added with a splash of bartaco blue, which turns purple when added to the drink.”
- La Cocina Coctelera, 1000 E 16th St., Hialeah; 305/887-8863; https://www.lacocinahialeah.com On Feb. 22, from noon to 2 a.m., you can score this Pots & Pans margarita (pictured above) with El Jimador tequila, St. Germain, Kiwi and lemongrass. Plus it’s BOGO for the day, for $12.
- And because this is a beautiful drink, here’s a recipe for your home bar skills. It’s the blood orange margarita (pictured above), made with 2 oz. Corralejo Resposado tequila, 3 oz. fresh blood orange juice, ¾ lime juice, 1 oz. simple syrup. Rub the glass rim with the edge of a blood orange slice. Swirl rim through sea salt. Put ice in glass, mix all ingredients together and strain into prepared glass.