This quick and easy pizza sauce recipe from ohsweetbasil.com only takes five minutes to make, but you can always let it simmer for up to a couple of hours and the flavor just gets better and better.
Yield: 1 quart mason jar of sauce
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter (substitute with more olive oil if you’re being healthier)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1¾ teaspoons onion powder
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1½ teaspoon fresh basil, chopped (¾ teaspoon dried)
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped (½ teaspoon dried)
- 2 8-ounce cans of tomato sauce
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 tablespoons of fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2/3 cup warm water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, add olive oil and butter and heat until almost shimmering.
- Add garlic, stirring a few times around pot; quickly add onion powder, red pepper flakes, basil and oregano.
- Stir a few times and allow herbs to bloom.
- Add Parmesan cheese, and brown sugar and then quickly dump in tomato sauce, tomato paste and water.
- Stir to combine and bring to light boil.
- Turn down to low, season to taste and allow to simmer for 1 to 2 hours for ultimate flavor or use immediately if needed.
This sauce can be stored in a sealed mason jar for up to three weeks.