It’s about time for another national liquor day, and – surprise! – National Rum Day is Aug. 16. Here are some chillin’ photos and recipes to get your party started.
From Boca Raton Resort & Club’s Shaka Grill, 501 E. Camino Real, Boca Raton, 561/447-3000: The Dreamsicle, which is cold enough to combat some of this heat.
- 2 0z. Cruzan Vanilla Rum
- 3 oz. House Whipped Cream
- .5 oz. Sprite
- 3 oz. Fruit
- Select from Mango, Strawberry or Banana puree
- Blend Fruit puree with 1.5 ounces of Cruzan
- Blend Sprite, whipped cream and remaining Cruzan
- Alternate pouring between two mixtures into drinkware
- Garnish with fruit of choice (i.e. mango or strawberry slice)
Ports O’Call Recipe
From III Forks, 4645 PGA Blvd., Palm Beach Gardens, comes the Ports O’Call cocktail ($12) with rum, port and other yummy stuff. https://www.3forks.com/
- 2.5 oz. Mount Gay Eclipse rum
- ½ oz. Taylor Tawny port
- ½ oz. peach puree
- ¼ oz. Monin almond (orgeat) syrup
- 1 oz. lemon juice
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- Lemon wheel for garnish
Instructions: Combine the first six ingredients in a cocktail shaker. Shake well then strain into a Collins glass. Garnish with a lemon wheel.
Try these rum recipes at home
Here are some more recipes made with various brands of rum. All are available at local liquor stores.
Ron Barcelo Aged Negroni
- 1 oz Ron Barcelo Imperial
- 1 oz Antica Formula
- 1 oz Campari
- Garnish – orange peel
Pour all ingredients over ice, stir and garnish with orange peel. I tried this version of a Negroni with this Barcelo rum instead of gin, and it was very smooth and is now a favorite. I didn’t have any orange peel, so subbed a dash of orange bitters and that worked well.
The Bali Hai recipe
- 2oz Bali Hai Tiki Gold Rum
- 3/4 oz Fresh Lime Juice
- 1/2oz Ginger Syrup
- 2oz Fresh Orange Juice
- Angostura Bitters
- Shake all ingredients in a cocktail shaker
- Strain over ice in a tall glass, then garnish with a lime wheel
- Add a straw and finish with 6 dashes of Angostura Bitters
Coconut pineapple daiquiri
- 1.5 oz. Koloa Coconut rum
- .5 oz. lime juice
- .5 oz. pineapple liqueur
- .5 oz. pineapple juice
- .5 oz. simple syrup
Add all ingredients together with ice. Shake and strain into a coupe glass. Garnish with pineapple wedge and pineapple leaf.