This is an idea that may stick around for a while, even as things get back to the “new normal.” (We will have to find another phrase for that scenario!)
Wine tastings on Zoom have become a popular pastime and good business. For sessions ranging from $10 a class to more than $200 a class (these include the wine), you receive tasting instructions and a chance to talk with experience sommeliers.
Locally, we have Virginia Philip Wine Shop & Academy with weekly Zoom classes that usually feature four wines and Philip talking with experts from all over the world. Upcoming classes include:
- May 27 – French wines/Vintus, with two Master Sommeliers, Philip and Craig Collins. This works with four wines, from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. Tickets are $95 for the wines, and you can buy tickets here: virginiaphilipwineandspirits.com
- June 3 – Antinori Winery, with Erik Saccomani from the winery, about four wines from that notable Italian winery. Tasting is from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.; tickets are $150, and are here: virginiaphilipwineandspirits.com
Nationally, you can taste wines with experts from New York to California during sessions that suit your budget and palate. Two notable examples:
- Corkbuzz – This New York City restaurant is hosting multiple classes about all kinds of wines, for $10 a pop. For that ticket, you join the tasting to learn about specific varietals or wineries, drink whatever you’d like on your end, and ask questions via a chat section. More details here: https://www.corkbuzz.com/store/events/
- Some upcoming classes:
- May 27 – Regional profile of Alsace wine with Master Sommelier Josh Nadel, taught by Ryan Totman.
- May 28 – a Masterclass about Trentodoc wines, taught by Master Sommelier Laura Fiorvanti.
- Chef Jose Andres – Known worldwide for his efforts to feed the hungry, Andres also hosts Spanish wine tastings on his Instagram feed @chefjoseandres. He’s started this past weekend and is scheduled to do one per weekend. Not only is he articulate with a sense of humor, but his guest contact list is better than almost anyone else anywhere. You never know who will show up, and you’re guaranteed to learn a lot.