At the all-inclusive Bungalows in the northernmost Key, relaxation is the destination
In May of 2019, a fire engulfed the main building of the all-inclusive Bungalows Resort in Key Largo, rendering the retreat inhospitable for more than six months. From the embers of that early-morning blaze came the inspiration that would later materialize into the new and improved Bungalows, a vacation destination where travelers and locals alike can escape into a land of luxurious, stress-free relaxation.
Bungalows provides a tropical reprieve for anyone who wants to enjoy the best that the Florida Keys have to offer, without the hassle of planning out a full trip themselves. The resort is fixed on 12 waterfront acres at Mile Marker 99 in Key Largo, facing the Buttonwood Sound.
Although it’s only 60 miles from the Miami International Airport by car, the resort is also accessible by seaplane via the Fort Lauderdale International Airport for visitors who wish to skip the South Florida traffic completely and enjoy a scenic flight that showcases the region’s natural beauty. Bungalows is an adults-only resort, exclusively accessible to guests 21-and-older, ensuring that patrons can enjoy their stay free of any distraction from their relaxation.
Upon arrival at the Bungalows, guests stay in—you guessed it—one of the resort’s 135 bungalows. Guests have the choice of either a 900-square-foot waterfront bungalow or an 1,100-square-foot garden bungalow, each of which comfortably sleeps either two or four, and includes amenities such as outdoor tubs and showers, beach cruisers and a state-of-the-art entertainment system.
Each garden bungalow has a serene and tranquil oasis tucked away behind its unassuming picket fence, in which visitors can enjoy a candlelit bath under cover of palm fronds. Waterfront bungalows are steps away from the resort’s Coconut Beach, and each has a private veranda with an outdoor tub and oceanfront views. Here’s the lowdown on other amenities available to heighten your stay.
All-too-aware that dining options can quickly grow stale at an all-inclusive resort, the Bungalows is home to three unique restaurants on the property—each with its own individual flair and flavor. Dining and drinks are included with each stay.
- Fish Tales is a casual restaurant that features a daily breakfast buffet, with freshly caught seafood and prime steaks as well as other traditional fare for lunch and dinner.
- Sea Señor serves coastal Mexican cuisine that brings a south-of-the-border ambience to the traditional piscine fare that the Florida Keys are known for. Seating is directly on the water’s edge and under a canopy of palm trees, allowing guests to enjoy the view unimpeded from the comfort of their dinner tables.
- Bogie & Bacall’s provides guests with a by-reservation- only fine dining option within the resort, and features a five-course menu that changes daily, showcasing local specialties and uninhibited creativity from the resort’s head chef. The venue also houses a “Hemingway Bar,” constructed with tiles emulating the style of the late author’s home.
• The luxurious Zen Garden Spa includes a state-of-the-art eucalyptus steam room and a Himalayan salt therapy room. After enjoying a steam or a stay in the salt room, guests are led through a channel of bamboo to treatment cabanas, where they can enjoy massages and spa-inspired cocktails.
• Yoga classes are offered daily on the resort’s beach and its Tranquility Lawn, and an open-air fitness hut allows health-forward guests to get in their daily workout without sacrificing the resort’s tropical immersion.
• A wide range of water-based activities are available at the Bungalows, from relaxing booze cruises on the S.S. Rum Runner and S.S. Margarita tiki boats to a snorkel excursion where guests can spend the day on the water fishing, swimming and exploring the incredible marine life at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park.
• Guests can also take to the water with a picturesque sunset cruise on the resort’s Gemini Catamaran to enjoy an unparalleled Florida Keys sunset.
Bungalows Key Largo, 99010 Overseas Hwy, Key Largo, 305/363-2830; www.bungalowskeylargo.com