It’s not even 2 miles from West Palm Beach’s Southern Boulevard to Okeechobee Boulevard along South Dixie Highway. But if you traveled from one to the other by eating your way along the route, it would take you weeks.
That’s because there are 21 worth-a-stop restaurants in a relatively short area, and another under construction. That’s not counting fast food outlets, folks. Or the Civil Society Brewing Company that just opened at 425 Kanuga Drive. Or all of the restaurants in Rosemary Square (formerly known as CityPlace).
Most are right on Dixie, but a handful gather together in a corner cluster at Belvedere, while a couple are a half-block off Dixie. Two are new in 2019: Todd’s and The Restaurant at the renovated and expanded Norton Museum. They are all worth finding for their chefs, their menus, the atmosphere.
Starting at Southern Boulevard, from south to north:
- Rhythm Café, 3800 S. Dixie Highway: The granddaddy of them all at 31 years old, and still going strong. “Serving the fabulous, and shunning the dreary,” is the motto at this very good American cuisine restaurant.
- Mazie’s, 3815 S. Dixie Highway. New World comfort food.
- Cholo Soy Cocina, 3715 S. Dixie Highway. Andean street food.
- Belle & Maxwell, 3700 S. Dixie Highway. Modern American.
- City Diner, 3400 S. Dixie Highway. Upscale diner food.
- Maison Carlos, 3010 S. Dixie Highway
- Kitchen, 319 Belvedere Road (corner of Dixie and Belevedere). Contemporary American brasserie.
- Sushi Jo, 319 Belvedere Road. Japanese.
- Jo Bistro, 319 Belvedere Road. All-natural cuisine.
- Great Wraps, 2409 S. Dixie Highway. Wraps, sandwiches, salads.
- Joy Noodle, 2200 S. Dixie Highway. Asian fusion.
- Todd’s by Todd English at EmKo, 2119 S. Dixie Highway. Contemporary American.
- Grato, 1901 S. Dixie Highway. Italian.
- Table 26, 1700 S. Dixie Highway. Global American cuisine.
- The Restaurant at The Norton, 1450 S. Dixie Highway. Modern bistro.
- Serenity Garden Tea House & Cafe, 316 Vallette Way (just off Dixie Highway). Traditional tea house.
- The Regional Kitchen & Public House, 651 Okeechobee Blvd. Southern/Mediterranean cuisine.
- Restoration Hardware, 560 Okeechobee Blvd. Modern American.
- Hilton WPB Galley, 600 Okeechobee Blvd. Modern American.
- Ruth’s Chris Steak House, 651 Okeechobee Blvd. Steakhouse.
- Hive Café and Bakery, under construction and expected to open at the end of 2019/start of 2020.