It’s already May, which means this year’s newly minted class of Boca Ballroom dancers are already hard at work at the dance studio learning dance steps and routines for this year’s annual Boca Ballroom Battle.
Last year, the event pivoted in response to the pandemic and offered a televised version through WPTV Channel 5. The folks at George Snow were nervous; this was always a massive signature end-of-summer party with a live audience at the Boca Resort—with everyone rooting for their favorite dancers. Would it suffer without that? Would anyone watch?
Those fears were unfounded and during a pandemic with no packed ballroom or live dressed-to-the-nines partiers, the event—which was viewed by “watch parties” in our area and across the nation—raised its largest amount ever—more than $660,000.
So this year, with live events still touch and go, the George Snow Scholarship Fund organization will again return to the TV studio for another expertly done Boca Ballroom Battle, to be aired on Saturday, August 14 at 7 p.m. Sponsorships are still available and donations are underway as the community steps up to donate to their favorite dancers. You can even be a “watch party host,” which is like a buying a table—only you get to hang in your living room with all your friends and some special goodies provided by the George Snow people.
The dancers for this year’s event (the 14th to date!) were announced earlier this year and will be not only the class of 2021 ”elite eight”—but TV stars as well. Here they are:
- Elmar Benavente, CEO, Be Design Associates, Inc.
- Kelly Fleming, mother, and community volunteer
- Dre Garcia, CEO, EMPOWER Consulting Partners
- Melyssa Hancock, facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon
- Ryan Reiter, director of Government Relations, Kaufman Lynn Construction
- Mindy Shikiar, former executive, Boca Raton Regional Hospital
- Robert Snyder, executive director, Strategy Communications for NCCI
- Dr. Jeffrey Stein, internal medicine
For more information, please visit scholarship.org