The Florida stone crab season runs Oct. 15 through May 15, and stone crab lovers in SoFla will surely be lining up at Joe’s Stone Crab as it opens for the 106th time in Miami Beach.
For those new to this popular landmark, you need to know a few things:
1) They don’t take reservations. Get there early (they open for dinner at 5 p.m.), give your name to the maître d’ and you’ll be seated fairly quickly. It’s a huge restaurant.
2) Everything is a la carte, main dishes, side dishes, all of it.
3) The bars and bartenders are very good.
4) It’s worth it. Every year, it is consistently as good as the year before, which must be the secret to staying in business for 106 years.
The lunch service will start Oct. 18 this year, and Joe’s Take Away next door is a little bistro where the most of the regular menu is available in an informal atmosphere. Don’t forget to try the Key lime pie, too. The gift cards for meals shipped overnight make a nice holiday gift, in case you’re looking.
Joe’s Stone Crab, 11 Washington Ave., Miami Beach; 305/673-0365; https://www.joesstonecrab.com
If you’re going south for stone crabs, Joe’s is the prime spot to try. Here are a few others:
- Boia De, 5205 NE Second Ave., Miami; 305/967-8866; https://www.boiaderestaurant.com/ During stone crab season, the menu will include tagliolni nero, squid ink noodles with fresh stone crab, vin jeaune, truffle and herbs.
- StripSteak by Michael Mina, Fontainebleau Miami Beach, 4441 Collins Ave., Miami Beach; 305/ 538-2000; https://www.fontainebleau.com During stone crab season, offering cracked, chilled claws with dijonnaise sauce; stone crab Oscar with yuzu kosho bernaise and crab meat.
- Gianni’s at The Villa Casa, 1116 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach; 786/485-2200; http://vmmiamibeach.com/ During stone crab season, offers medium or large claws with creamy mustard sauce.
- Rusty Pelican, 3201 Rickenbacker Causeway, Key Biscayne; 305/361-3818; https://www.therustypelican.com/ During season, offers claws at market price.
- Burlock Coast, The Ritz-Carlton, 1 N. Fort Lauderdale Beach Blvd., Fort Lauderdale; 954/302-6460; https://www.ritzcarlton.com/ During season, offering claws at market price.
- 3030 Ocean, Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort, 3030 Holiday Drive, Fort Lauderdale; 954/765-3030; http://www.3030ocean.com/ During season, offers chilled stone crabs with cocktail sauce and honey mustard.
Want more food news?
Sign up for our Dish e-newsletter, where you’ll get the latest food and drink news delivered directly to your inbox.