If you have been overindulging during the holidays and need to detox—or if you simply want to start the new year on a path to better health—I recommend experiencing the magic of raw, unpasteurized juice cleanses.
My clients who juice report an increase in energy, a new glow in their skin, weight loss—and, in some cases, signs of aging being reversed. Luckily in Boca we have great juice companies that can make your detox easy and delicious. I have personally tried juices at all of the companies in this blog; these are truly couture-style, creative drinks.
The hardest part of juicing with these pros was figuring out which one I liked better. Truth be told, I loved these four the best and want to share my Z-tips on juicing with you!
Why try a juice cleanse? For starters, it’s not enough to just “eat healthy.” Toxins still lurk into our bodies. For example, pesticides can reside in nonorganic foods found at many restaurants. Too many of those toxins can result in weight gain, low energy, unclear skin and illnesses.
A simple detox gives your digestive system a vacation; your body is able to rid itself of harmful toxins. In turn, that can boost the body’s energy, eliminate extra weight, promote deeper sleep and reduce stress. Think of the detox as you think of dry cleaning your clothes—a necessary part of life that helps you look great!
• Take advantage of nutritional consultations prior to the cleanse
• Eat light, vegan foods before and after your cleanse to ease in and out of the cleanse
• Only choose organic juices, otherwise you will be putting toxins and pesticides right back into your body
• Choose cold-pressed juices (like the ones in this blog) that retain most benefits from fruits and vegetables
• Don’t eat heavy foods such as bread and animal proteins right before and right after the cleanse
• Don’t use the cleanse as quick fix – it is a reboot for the system and not a crash diet
• Don’t pressure yourself into doing a long cleanse if you are not ready.
BEST LOCAL ORGANIC JUICES AND CLEANSES
Even the raw food guru David “Avocado” Wolfe is a big fan of My Organic Juice, and he has a great reason for it.
This company was started by a husband and wife team to help her heal during cancer treatments. Now, their passion for juicing helps many others get healthy. What I love about this company:
• Easy personal delivery system; you don’t even have to leave your house or office
• Glass bottles
• Local produce
• Order by noon and have your juice personally delivered to you next day (weekday deliveries only)
• Cleanse bottles are labeled one through six, so it is easy to follow
• If you want a delicious treat, try the Strawberry Dream smoothie
• Get a FREE cooler bag with a cleanse
• Complimentary nutritional counseling with a health coach is available
Z-Tip: Sign up for their convenient auto-renewal delivery program and make juice a daily habit – you will look and feel fabulous all year long. As Chelsea Silverman say: “Don’t Think, Just Drink!” Your body will thank you!
To order call 561/809-5925 or email at Chelsea@myorganicjuice.com
This all-juice company is dedicated to making great-tasting juices in an eco-friendly and convenient way. What I love about them:
• All glass-bottled
• Free delivery on juice cleanses
• Has many pick-up locations
• Infra-red sauna is available for use at their Fort Lauderdale location to help you detox and release toxins
• One-day Cleanse has six juices and three energy shots
• Get a FREE cooler bag with a three-day cleanse
• Pick up some raw vegan snacks to help you ease in and ease out of the cleanse
• Nutritional counseling is available
Z-Tip: Return 10 of their bottles to them and get one free juice!
(3100 N.W. Boca Raton Blvd., #408, Boca Raton, FL 33431, 855-467-9264)
Raw Juce is a juice-aholic’s paradise that offers 14 different juices, nine smoothies, four shots and eight dessert drinks that can satisfy your thirst and hunger. What I love about this store:
• They offer walk-in cleanses
• Samples of every juice are available before purchase
• Wide selection of green juices
• Free consultation with a certified health coach
• Raw vegan foods, acai bowls and smoothies are available for purchase to ease in and out of the cleanse
• Convenient location off Glades Road and I-95
• Juice till dinner cleanses are great for beginners
Z-Tip: Jarrod Levy, a store manager has been on a juice cleanse for 72 days (he loved it so much, he didn’t want to stop!) and he lost 60 pounds. Stop by and ask him for his tips on how to do a cleanse and still enjoy life.
(2200 Glades Road, Suite 403, Boca Raton, FL 33431, 561/424-5823
Christopher’s Kitchen has been one of my favorite places to eat at for years and now they are also offering juice cleanses. What I love about Christopher’s Kitchen is:
• More than 20 juices are available
• Great selection of to-go Raw Vegan meals at their Market area
• They offer walk-in cleanses
• Inspiring names such as Glow, Abundance, Youthful, Clarity and Illuminate add great energy to the cleanses
• Their Brazilnut milk is out of this world amazing and helps support thyroid health
• Samples of juices are available before you purchase
• Their to-go smoothies are a perfect addition to a cleanse for beginners
Z-Tip: Enjoy Christopher’s Kitchen meals in the dining room to ease into the cleanse and you will transform your world. Save room for dessert – their lemon vanilla cheesecake is to live for!
(4783 PGA Blvd., Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33418)
For more from the Green Goddess, click here.
About Alina Z.
Alina Z., aka “The Green Goddess,” is a certified holistic health coach, detox specialist and raw-food chef (she conducts occasional classes at Whole Foods in Boca). Prior to moving to Florida, Alina hosted her own TV show in Maryland—“Entertaining A to Z”—for people who didn’t have time to cook but wanted to eat healthy. Catch one of her web episodes at eHow.com, visit Alina’s website at alinaz.com, or follow her on Facebook (facebook.com/CoutureFood) or Twitter (@CoutureFood). The Green Goddess blog runs every other Wednesday at bocamag.com.