The Camino Real bridge in Boca Raton will be closed for a year on Thursday as the county does a complete renovation.
According to the county, the bridge will close at 5 a.m. on April 12 and the $9 million construction project should take roughly 12 to 13 months. In that time period, drivers will have to use the Palmetto Park Road bridge instead.
Some notable closures and detours:
- East Camino Real will be closed from the Royal Palm Way/Boca Raton Resort and Club Roundabout to Cocoanut Road
- Drivers will be detoured to Federal Highway, Southeast Mizner Boulevard, East Palmetto Park Road and A1A
- Local traffic headed to Spanish River Road will be closed at East Camino Real
- Drivers will be able to access Spanish River Road by way of Cocoanut Road and Ponce De Leon Road
- The hurricane evacuation route will be Palmetto Park Road
While the rehabilitation of the bridge will leave it much the same, the biggest difference is it will be wider to make more room for bicyclists and pedestrians on the bridge. The bridge operator’s control house will also be moved.
Construction on the bridge will be weekdays from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.