Smokin’ Rays Short Rib Sliders
Yield – 1 dozen sliders, prep – 4.5 hours, tailgate – 10 minutes
- 4 lbs. short ribs of beef
- 4 tbsp. SmokinRays® BBQ Rub
- 4 tbsp. bacon (diced)
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ cups beef broth
- Mini hamburger buns
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Remove any membranes (or silverskin) from short ribs.
- Cover BBQ Rub into the ribs.
- Using a cast iron or other heavy wide skillet or pan that is also ovenproof, sweat the bacon until fat covers skillet. Add short ribs and brown on all sides.
- Remove ribs and brown onions, carrots then garlic.
- When browned, pour off all but a small portion of the drippings remaining in pan.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring the sauce to a boil, then cover the pan and transfer to the preheated oven and bake for 3.5 to 4 hours, basting occasionally.
- Remove ribs from skillet and let rest. Boil the liquid until thick and strain.
- Place in refrigerator until game day.
- At tailgate, slice in 2-ounce pieces and warm on grill, brushing with reduced sauce. Serve on small buns with BBQ sauce and melted cheese.
Tip: Chef Ray likes gouda cheese!
Roasted Corn Salsa
Yield – 10 servings, time – 30 minutes
- 2 fresh corn on the cob (shucked)
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple
- 1 small cucumber (peeled and seeded)
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted (coarsely chopped)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, roasted (coarsely chopped)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 red onion (small diced)
- 3 tbsp. fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp. SmokinRays® Herb Citrus
- As needed SmokinRays® All Mixed Up (optional)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Roast corn in broiler and cool.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and chill in refrigerator.
Tip: Use All mixed up for spicier mix.
Smokin’ Rays Pork Wings
Yield – 1 dozen, prep – 15 minutes, tailgate – 15 minutes
- 1 dozen pork wings (already cooked)
- SmokinRays® Pork Rub (as needed)
- 12 bacon strips (thin sliced)
- BBQ sauce (optional)
- Pam spray
- Thaw pork wings in refrigerator overnight.
- Cover wings with Pork Rub.
- Spiral wrap each wing with bacon and secure with toothpick.
- Spray with Pam and cook on grill until bacon is crispy (165 degree internal temp).
- Brush with bbq sauce and enjoy.
Gator Jello Shots
Yield – 16, 2-ounce shots
- 3 ounces gelatin (flavorless)
- 1 cup boiling Gatorade (blue)
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) vodka
- 1/2 cup Gatorade (blue)
- 3 ounces gelatin (flavorless )
- 1 cup boiling Gatorade (orange)
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) vodka
- 1/2 cup Gatorade (orange)
- Combine the liquor and cold Gatorade and place in the refrigerator so they are a consistent temperature. You should have 1 cup of cold liquid.
- Pour the gelatin into a bowl.
- Add boiling water, stirring until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Stir in the chilled liquor and cold Gatorade mix. Add food coloring if you want to enhance or change the color.
- To make layers, begin by making one flavor of jello shot and fill cups 1/2 or 1/3 of the way full. Chill these until almost set (about 1 to 1 ½ hours) then add the next flavor.
With this basic recipe your can change flavors and colors to promote your own team.
For non alcoholic substitute the vodka for Gatorade