Former engineer Dave Mathews (not that Dave Matthews) is tapping into his full potential. After 23 years of brewing beers in his garage, Mathews is sharing his suds at Mathews Brewing Co., the first and only craft brewery and taproom in Lake Worth.
Inside, the taproom offers guests a huge bar, plus high tops and a laid-back lounge area. The colorful beer menu displays everything on tap. Beers are made in-house (the barrel systems are in plain sight), including his cask-conditioned brews, served at 50 degrees, rather than the 36-degree American standard. Outside, there’s a Zen garden, a stage and room for gourmet food trucks that rotate on a schedule.
If you’re ready to escape the humid Florida heat, drive up to Mathews Brewing for a cold frosty.
These other reasons make it an afternoon well spent:
5. THE ZEN GARDEN: “I’m obsessed with rocks,” Mathews says, pointing to the huge rock sculptures, rock furniture and carefully cultivated rock beds outside. Easy-to-care-for plants add color and charm to the calming garden.
4. OPEN FOOD POLICY: “We don’t care if you bring food, have it delivered from a local restaurant, or get something from the food trucks,” Mathews says.
3. LIVE MUSIC: One of the reasons Mathews bought the property is to host live entertainment. His lineup of revolving artists entertains Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays on the patio. Grab a pint or flight and listen for a while.
2. THE PAW-FECT PATIO: Dog owners, rejoice! Fido, Luna and Sophie are welcome at Mathews’ dog-friendly patio. In fact, Mathews says his logo is designed after his late Jack Russell, Dakota. Benches, tables and a covered area are all outside, too.
1. THE BEER: Fourteen creative, handcrafted brews rotate on tap, like the Sweet Emotion Cream Ale and the Peanut Butter and Jealous Stout (a PB&J without bread!). Recent additions include a strawberry blonde called “Rhythm” and an imperial stout called “Seek & Destroy.”